🛌 Sleep 4 | 👙 Hot Tub | ✨ 3 night min | 🐶 Dog-friendly | 🌳 Backs onto the Forest of Dean | 🛶 Above the River Wye | 🍺 Good local pubs in walking distance | 💆♀️ Bolt-on a massage or foraging experience | 🌱 Enclosed garden
Why we love Rowan Tree Retreat holiday cottage for a weekend
For anyone craving a spot of serious forest bathing, this Wye Valley holiday cottage is your route into the trees. Backing onto magnificent Forest of Dean (above the River Wye) it’s your base for epic woodland days out. Literally, open the garden gate and the forest greets you. All you have to do is lace up your walking boots and warm the hot tub for your return.
Rowan Tree Retreat holiday cottage couldn’t get any closer to the woods if it tried. You’ll find it tucked up against the trees in a quiet corner of the Wye Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – birthplace of British tourism – and only a short stroll from the wonderful River Wye.
With forest-like looks, this timber-clad single-storey cottage is a magnet for those who love the great outdoors (walkers, cyclists, canoeists stay regularly), as well as those who like a little more chill in their weekend (bubbling hot tub and massage anyone?). For dog-owners it’s a proper sweet spot: the large enclosed garden, ‘oven-ready’ walkies from the doorstep, welcome pack and no extra charge for dogs is a real boon.
Inside, Rowan Tree Retreat is a pretty package of rooms to make yourself at home in, with thoughtful touches added by the helpful and welcoming owner, Audrey. The open-plan living, kitchen and dining room sits under a high, oak-beamed ceiling with light falling in from Velux windows keeping things light and fresh. The sofas are big and squishy, with throws to curl up under as you switch on the Smart TV.
The kitchen is packed with equipment for effortless self-catering, including a cooker, microwave, fridge, table top freezer and dishwasher. There’s also a washing machine for muddy outdoor clothes.
Both of the double bedrooms (one super-king and one king) are modern and immaculately appointed. Sweet dreams come as standard, as do comfy toes and paws because there’s underfloor heating throughout the entire cottage. The bathroom is sparkling clean with a drench-shower for refreshing mornings and a bath for long pre-bed soaks.
With the Wye Valley just outside your holiday cottage front door, there are many great outdoor experiences to be enjoyed in the Forest of Dean. From paddleboarding and canoeing on the River Wye to foraging the Forest and cooking up a feast to enjoy in the fresh air.
Of course, Rowan Tree Retreat can also bring the thrills and chills to you. Bolt-on a massage to enjoy in your holiday cottage, tuck into a carefully-sourced local food hamper or simply slip into the Cedar hot tub in the cottage’s garden and turn your gaze to the stars. No agendas. No to-do lists. Perfect.
- Foodie hampers include: Best of Local Hamper; Romantic Hamper; Cheese & Gin Hamper; Breakfast Hamper; Cheese & Wine Hamper
- Massages provided by Wild Forest Aromatherapy and Herbal Ways
- Spa robe hire for the hot tub
- Foraging workshops by Herbal Ways
- Make your own gin experience with Silver Circle Distillery
- 3 night minimum stay, from £200pn
- 2 bedroom holiday cottage sleeping 4 (plus a travel cot)
- Your host, Audrey, goes the extra mile to make stays special
- Private hot tub in large enclosed garden
- Dog-friendly, 2 dogs welcome at no extra charge
- Multiple woodland walks, including the Mailscot Wood Trail, from the door
- Within walking distance, one under 10 min
- 30 min walk to the famous internationally renowned viewpoint at Symonds Yat Rock
- Forest cafe/shop within a 10/15 min walk
- Borders Herefordshire & Monmouthshire
- Wheelchair access
- Massage bolt-ons provided on site
- Superfast WiFi