👍 Small groups of 6 | 🎒All equipment provided | 🏕 Includes meals and camping | 🌳 2-day trips | From £250 | ✅ Beginners welcome |📍The Wye Valley
Why we love Black Grouse Outdoors for a weekend
“Everything – and we mean everything – is taken care of so you can just relax and enjoy your SUP adventure. Your paddleboard for the 2 days is ready to go. Your tent is set-up for you. Your transport up river and back is provided. And all your meals are cooked without you having to lift a finger. So, after paddling the River Wye, you can simply return to camp and share good food and great stories around the campfire.”
With over 30 years’ experience running outdoor expeditions, Black Grouse Outdoors know how to ensure you have an unforgettable SUP adventure on the River Wye. Led by friendly, fun highly-trained SUP instructors, you’ll explore the mighty River Wye (the UK’s fourth longest river), paddling over a carefully-chosen section of its peaceful waters as fish jump in front of you and kingfishers dart along the river bank.
There are three River Wye paddleboarding trips to choose from: Hay-On-Wye to Hereford (3-5 July 2023), Hereford to Ross-On-Wye (30 June -2 July, 5-7 July) and Hay-on-Wye to Ross-on-Wye (3-7 July). On all expeditions, you’ll cruise up to 20 miles each day passing exceptional scenery from a unique perspective on the water. The SUP routes and campsites are chosen not only for their wildness and beauty, but also for their quietness and solitude – so you get a real escape from the hectic world.
If you’ve paddleboarded before, Black Grouse Outdoors expeditions are a great chance to improve your skills and excel at the sport in a beautiful location. If you’re just starting out with paddleboarding, you’ll learn foundational skills to get you confident, comfortable and safe on the water – although some SUP experience is essential.
Best of all, when your paddling is over, there’ll be hot food waiting and a cosy tent ready for you to bed down in once you’re finished chatting with your new friends around the campfire. And make friends you will: all groups on Black Grouse Paddleboarding expeditions are kept deliberately small (the company motto is ‘small groups, big smiles’) so you can be sure of a personal experience amongst like-minded people.
Indeed, the attentive guides make sure you come away relaxed and refreshed; there’s no rushing, no competitiveness, you simply paddle along with them knowing they have everything in hand. This is about unwinding fully amongst nature with as little stress on the countryside – and you – as possible.
- Explore the River Wye without the stress of organising a paddleboarding expedition yourself
- Top-quality touring McConks paddleboards provided as well as paddles, buoyancy aids, and dry bags
- Transport, meals and tents all included
- Secure your place for just £50
- All you need to bring is some clothes to paddle in, a sleeping bag, and your sense of adventure
- Some previous SUP experience is essential
- As well as paddleboarding on the River Wye, Black Grouse Outdoors offer SUP expeditions on the Norfolk Broads and Lake District
- They also run outdoor adventures across the UK, including walking tours and navigation weekends
- Black Grouse Outdoors was launched by experienced outdoors’ instructor Tony Greenacre in 2011
- The founder, Tony, has over 30 years’ experience running outdoor adventures in the UK
- Great for paddleboarders looking to explore further and grow their skills and confidence
- Just the thing for those who love the outdoors, nature, camping and exploring
“I spent a weekend on the Wye with Black Grouse and everything exceeded expectations! Top notch equipment, thoughtfully sourced. Very sensible safety briefings. Tony really went out of his way to ensure that all of the dietary requirements of all guests were met, with delicious results. Thank you Tony and Ray. I hope to be back, highly recommended!” Jenny Thorpe
“A fabulous weekend spent in great company. Tony and his team went out of their way to make the time spent on the river a very enjoyable (and safe!) one. I’ve learned so much about how to be safe on the water as well as enjoying the fabulous River Wye. I would highly recommend it, and will definitely be back again! ” Sarah Brown