🌳 Fully off-grid | 📍 Tucked away in the South Hams | 🏕 2 vintage glamping vehicles | 🛌 Sleeping 3 – 4
Why we love Kushti Camping for a weekend
Soft, meadow grass underfoot, the smell of woodsmoke in your hair, vast open South Devon skies above you, and not a sound to break the peace and quiet. Then, come night, there are two bespoke heart-felt vintage wagons where you lay you head and let your soul root itself. Seduction, South Devon style.
You can feel the heart that’s been poured into Kushti Camping. This free-spirited, meadow-base glamping site near Totnes is the passion project of its owners, Matt and Yumé.
Both lovers of the outdoors life and travelling without leaving a footprint, they have created a glamping site on a working South Devon farm that sings of sunset adventures and fresh-air escapism. In it are two vintage vehicles (a Mercedes Eagle Camper and an Airstream Safari Trailer) both stunningly transformed by Matt and parked up in their own private field.
The Truck: Mercedes Eagle Camper
Sleeping up to 3 guests, Matt and Yumé’s beloved Mercedes Eagle Camper was the first of their two-wagon fleet to benefit from Matt’s creative talents and practical skills. It used to be a BBC filming truck, rescued by Matt from a field just outside London. Now it’s a bright, colourful space for you to disconnect from the digital world.
Inside, there are wooden floors and white timber-panelled walls dotted with custom-made lights and finished with slick copper detailing. For cooking, there’s a chunky oak kitchen where you’ll find a mini fridge, a tap and sink, a double hob cooker and everything you need to stir-up up a feast (from a peeler to a coffee percolator, a selection of teabags to olive oil, soy sauce and many spices and herbs).
At the far end of the truck, your feather-soft double bed awaits with cotton bed covers and two small windows so you can see the stars at night. And, of course, when the air is warm, throw open the back end of the van and enjoy a cuppa in bed gazing out at the South Devon views.
- The Truck weekend stays from £320 (min stay 3 nights)
- Comfy dining table and benches that turn into a cushy single bed
- Raised wood-burner to keep you warm when the sun goes down
- Stereo with DAB radio, plug and USB charging points, all powered by the solar panels on the roof
- Fab roof platform which once would’ve been used for filming and now is the perfect spot for sundowners
The Trailer: Airstream Safari
Glinting in the South Devon sunshine is Kushti Camping’s newest glamping addition: a fabulous original Airstream trailer, which comes direct from the USA and sleeps 4. This beauty is particularly close to Matt’s heart: he once lived in it with his son so he has flooded all his soul and energy into its transformation. The result is a masterpiece. Original features have been carefully restored and the rest has been hand-crafted to create an immaculate ice-white luxe interior.
At one end of the trailer, there’s a super-sleek hand-crafted kitchen, with dark wood floors and work tops, alongside a large double bed space and a woodburner. At the other end, there’s a stylish dining area that easily becomes a second double bed. There is also a Bluetooth stereo and solar-powered LED lights. Outside, you’ll find hammocks ready to be filled and a fire bowl ready to be sparked up when the sun starts to dip from the sky.
- The Trailer weekend stays from £420 (min stay 3 nights)
- Generous handcrafted kitchen with gas cooker/oven/grill, fridge/freezer, cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery
- Feather bedding and cotton bed covers on both double beds
- Tap and sink, tea/coffee making facilities, herbs, spices, oil and condiments
- Plug sockets and USB charging points
- Onsite farm barn bathroom just a short walk away with flushing loos and hot showers, toilet paper and hand towels provided (but please bring your own bath towels)
- Eco-friendly with solar power and a local water source
- Check in from 2pm, check out by 10am
- Free onsite parking, but please be careful of children and animals while driving through the farm
- There’s firewood and kindling ready to purchase on the farm
- Pack torches, sturdy footwear, and waterproofs for exploring the surrounding South Devon countryside
- No pets because the glamping is on a working farm
- The historic town of Totnes is just 10 mins away; the Devon coastline is just 20 mins away; and the wild and wonder-full Dartmoor National Park is only 30 mins away.