⚡️Unique end-of-mews character cottage | 🛌 Sleeps 4 – 6 | 🏛 Secluded location | 📍In the ancient market town of Morpeth | 🐶 Dog friendly | 🌷 Lovely sun-trap garden | 🚗 Free parking | ❤️ From £135pn | 💤 2 nights’ min
Why we love Lilac Cottage in Morpeth for a weekend
“Lilac Cottage is as sweet as a Parisian macaroon with a springtime personality and thoughtful creature comforts to match. Hide away in this pretty holiday cottage with your beau (or crew) and enjoy dozing late to the sound of church bells and doves cooing. Before heading off to explore pretty Morpeth, which awaits just around the corner.”
Lilac by name and lilac by nature, it’s impossible not to have a colour crush on this characterful little holiday cottage in Morpeth. You’ll find it tucked in a quiet mews in the heart of the conservation area of historic Morpeth in Northumberland.
The first thing you notice as you arrive at Lilac Cottage is the lilac front door, the lilac fence and the pale violet archway that welcomes you into the cottage’s ‘secret garden’ overlooking the church. The colours are a bloomin’ lovely way for the cottage to make its personality known and definitely trigger a smile, especially on a drizzly day.
Inside, there’s a calming, nurturing hush to the cottage thanks to the soft springtime colours that run across furnishings, walls and woodwork. The living/dinning room is a cave of comfort with two big squishy velvet sofas (one of which is a Snug Sofa Bed – the cosiest you can get so up to 6 of you can stay), a huge smart TV, an original fireplace with a faux fire to add extra snugness to the room, and plenty of personal touches that reflect the owner, Susie’s, Singaporean Chinese heritage.
A step down from the living room takes you into the well-equipped kitchen complete with a gas hob, electric oven, microwave, fridge, slow cooker, ice maker, dishwasher and a washer/dryer. The immaculate bathroom is off the kitchen with a shower over the bath and a WC.
Head upstairs, treading the thick pile carpet, and there are two bedrooms waiting, each with a view of the garden and church beyond and dressed to be light and welcoming. The first is a king-size bedroom, and the second bedroom has a king-size zip-and-link bed (which can be made up as 2’6″ twin beds on request). Both have the same luxury details to make sweet dreams possible: Egyptian cotton bed linen, mattress-toppers and soft-as-down pillows and duvets.
So comfy is this Morpeth holiday cottage, it’ll take incredible willpower to actually want to go out and explore the area. But do it you must because there is so much more prettiness to enjoy on your doorstep. If you don’t want to travel far, simply make a brew and walk along the front path to the pretty ‘secret garden’ with views towards the church. On a summer evening, fire up the BBQ before snuggling into one of the whisky-barrel chairs as your dinner sizzles away.
When you’re ready to explore further, you’re just around the corner from Morpeth High Street where you’ll find a wealth of independent cafes, stylish shops, a local farmers market, friendly pubs and a great choice of restaurants. And, of course, you’re less than 20 minutes’ drive from the spectacular Northumberland coastline with its incredible history, heritage and glorious beaches.
- Spacious and peaceful Morpeth holiday cottage, which is full of original character
- Sleeps up to 6 (two bedrooms with king-size beds; one double sofa bed in the lounge)
- Fully-equipped kitchen with a washing machine and tumble dryer
- Thoughtful owner who’s happy to make your stay special
- HDTV with Amazon Prime Video, Netflix
- In the heart of the conservation area of the ancient market town of Morpeth
- Off-road parking space for one car at one end of the mews, plus additional free car parking not far from the property
- Within 500 metres of Morpeth’s shops, pubs and restaurants
- Just 10 miles from Northumberland’s stunning coastline and its many wonderful castles
- Newcastle Train Station and Sage Gateshead are 25km away
- Check-in from 16:00/Check-out is 10:00
- NEW for 2024: en-suite bathroom from the master bedroom
- EXCLUSIVE Weekend Candy discount: 5% off 2/3 night stays when you contact the owner direct to book