🛌 Sleeps 4 | 👑 1 king-sized bed and 2 full-size bunk beds | 🌳 Bespoke-crafted treehouse | 🐶 Dog-friendly & child-friendly | ⛱️ 5 mins from Britain’s best beach |📍 Braunton, Devon | 👙 4-person hot tub | 🍃 Gold Green tourism award | 🥂 Ideal for girls’ weekends | 👀 Take a Virtual Tour | 💚 Profits go to The Pickwell Foundation | From £420pn (2 night minimum stay)
Why we love The Den Treehouse in Devon for a weekend
“Organising time away together as friends, or as a family, is often hard to do. But The Den Treehouse is eminently worth the effort. This incredible ‘earth ship’ is your reward for the 9/5 slog, and comes with everything you need to live harmoniously free from diaries and schedules for a few days. Out of this world? It is and you will be.”
To the west of famous Pickwell Manor in Devon, tucked away in the woods, is a treehouse with one purpose: to take you out of the universe you’re used to for some well-earned rest. The Den Treehouse is one of three timber treehouses on the Pickwell estate; each one has been beautifully handcrafted using traditional methods, then filled with luxury touches and modern furnishings to help you unplug fully.
Your first sight of The Den Treehouse comes as you climb the fairylight-lit wooden staircase. When you reach the last step it’s hard not to be impressed by the bold octagonal shape before you. This treehouse is both of this world and not: rooted loftily in the woodland surrounding it but also a million miles away from the rush of planet earth.
The large balcony that wraps around The Den is like the skirt of a UFO. This wonderful outdoor space allows you to live equally inside and out; simply slide open the full-length glass doors and voilà!
On the balcony, you’ll find cushioned reclining seats for sunny day lazing and a brilliant outdoor breakfast bar. It comes with a bifold window that you can open and connect with the goings-on inside the treehouse. There’s also a BBQ to gather around in the evening, where you can cook up a feast to the sounds of the sea that’s only half a mile away. Or, if al fresco gets too chilly, simply head inside to use the fully-equipped kitchen.
For us, the four-person jacuzzi is a real outdoor winner. It sits on the lower level of The Den in its own delightfully decked space, complete with a separate drinks’ fridge-freezer and lounge area.
When the night draws in, close up the treehouse doors and slip inside. The interior vibe is distinctly modern and Scandi. The pale cedar wood contrasts with the jet black frames of the windows beautifully. There is a pastel colour palette to keep your ‘chi’ calm and custom-built storage solutions to keep you clutter-free and organised.
The wood burner and underfloor heating turn the lounge into a cosy space for chatting, reading or board games. After the fun ends, you’ll sleep like logs in the luxury king-sized bed, which is crowned by a majestic antique bedhead. Next door there’s a bunk room with adult-sized beds – perfect for two kids or grown-ups to retire to as the stars come out to play.
“I booked The Den treehouse for my two sisters and myself for two nights and it was such an amazing experience! We had everything there we needed, and loved the luxuriousness of the accommodation, and the privacy of the hot tub. My only complaint is we didn’t book for long enough!”
See More TripAdvisor Reviews
- The Den Treehouse sleeps up to four
- One king-sized bed and two full-sized bunk beds
- Shower room
- 4-person hot tub in a private area on the lower level
- It has been hand built from local cedar timbers using traditional craftsmanship
- The treehouse has a bespoke, octagonal design with a large wrap-around wooded terraces
- The interiors are Scandi-inspired with pale cedar wood and furnished with luxury touches
- The large balcony has sturdy chestnut handrails and is closed at either end by two gates, so if you’re bringing small children or your dog you can do so worry-free
- All the heat and light comes from Pickwell Manor’s own solar panels and the water is from the natural spring
- Find the treehouse nested in the grounds of Pickwell Manor, a Grade II-listed mansion with views of the ocean
- You may also like Pickwell Manor’s other treehouses: The Loft (sleeping 2) and The Hideaway (sleeping 2)
- The manor has six acres of glorious private gardens and grounds for you to enjoy, along with a tennis court and pigs, goats and chickens
- Welcome hamper provided with prosecco, crisps, biscuits and chocolate
- Dog friendly for one dog at £15 per night/capped at £45
- Suitable for children of all ages
- Self-catering stay with a small fridge with freezer in top compartment and two–ring hob and a double oven
- Linen and towels are included (please bring your own beach towels)
- Access to washing machines, tumble dryer and washing lines
- Private balcony area with hot tub, outside furniture and BBQ
- 2 x handmade wooden belly boards for you to use in the sea
- The owners and their families live on-site. The grounds are shared with them and 10 holiday apartments
- Putsborough beach is just a 20-minute walk away
- Further afield, there is loads to do. Including many Devon villages to explore, fine dining options and local activities such as swimming with sea lions, abseiling, paddle boarding, coasteering, and hiking